Thursday, March 24, 2011

My health is starting to become my life

As I get older, the time gets shorter and shorter. I think also being a parent has a lot to do with it too. You concentrate on your kids, your spouse, your home, maybe at the end of the day, you concentrate on you. There is one thing that I can say has been a constant factor in my life that plagues me every single day. My weight.
For the past 10 years I have struggled so hard with my weight. I know it has been 10 years exactly because that was right after I had my first son Ryan. Thankfully after Jacob, 3 years ago, I was able to get lower than I have been since being a mom. It has always been about vanity. I wanna look good, I wanna feel good and I wanna be comfortable.
Now it has come to the time where I need to focus on my health. It is official, my dad is diabetic. For the past 8 or so years we have had to deal with my mom being diabetic going from type 2 to type 1. It was a big deal coming from our parents. Then, in 2007 my dad had a heart attack at 54 years old. When this happened it was, for me, one of the hardest things that I have had to take in. The other was when my nana dill had a heart attack. Its my dad, my dad. He did great for a while after, where he lost weight and was working out. I know that its just not fun to work out. But the benefits outweigh the cost. So now with both parents having diabetes it makes it harder for me as their child. to be able to do what I want, and eat what I want. My doctor said to me the other day that now with it coming from both parents, I really need to be more aware of everything that I put in my mouth. I cannot just eat what I want, when I want.
So when I say that my health is starting to become my life, I consciously think about what I am eating and what I plan to eat. There may be slip ups and I may make mistakes. Most importantly I do not want to be diabetic, I want to live a healthy life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie I'm sorry about your dad! Is doing better at least? Weight loss is tough to deal with let alone having to worry about diabetes on top of it. It runs in my family too but thankfully not my parents. I was getting test very year. I haven't in a LONG time and probably should now that I've been told I'm hypoglycemic. That is no picnic in park but better then diabetes, I suppose. Keep us updated on your weight loss. You know I'm always here for help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know if he is doing better health wise. I think that he is the leader of the Herrera stubborness. I hope that he changes for himself and for his family.
    I know that hypoglycemia is a major issue as well. I did not know that about you. You should get tested though, there is no harm in it. And if you know early then you can fix any issues that you might have.
    Thank you for all your support, whether it is a good day or a tough one, i know I can turn to you for help and guidance.

    ReplyDelete