Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 7-someone that has the biggest impact on you

For me, it is not just one person, it is many people. The first person that had a big impact of me was my great grandfather, Tata Serafin. Man, that guy was so fun and really talented. I remember going to his house when I was little and thought how cool it was that he had built it. Yes, he literally built his own house. He was so sweet to all of his great grandkids. He would take us out to his little shop in the back yard and show us what he was working on. He grew is own garden which I thought was super neat because he did it all himself. When he moved from Superior to Cottonwood he again built another house to live in by himself. He had a really cool porch swing that my brother, sister and I would fight over to sit in. He again had a shop and garden in his backyard. He made tables, and chairs and swings and all types of things in that shed of his. It was quite neat and I got a better understanding of where my dad had learned these types of things. His house had this weird smell to it and whenever I find that smell now, I think of him. He always work khaki pants and plaid shirts with white undershirts. All with the exact same paint stain on them. When my tata passed away, that was pretty hard. I still have pieces of furniture in my house that he made.
Another person that actually taught me a lot when I was little was my Tata Pascual. Did that guy know how to draw or what?! He had his own little man cave in the back of his house, full of paints, art supplies, canvases. He had it all back there. He would let us go in there and show us how to draw or certain painting techniques. He would put slides on a projector screen and let us trace it off the walls. He also fought it the war too which I later found to be such an incredible feat to do and come back safe. But after years of working in the mines in Superior, his health was not so good and he passed before I was out of elementary school. He was my dad’s dad, my Tata Serafin’s son. The guy that I got my drawing skills from.
My Nana Dill. Fighter. Strong. Fearless and tearless. I honestly don’t think I have ever seen that woman cry. She told me that there is no need for people to see you cry, you stand up and fight even when there is no fight left in you. Now when things get rough, I think about that and I fight the tears back. At this very moment she has battled cancer, she has knee pain, back pain, chest pain and any other pain you can imagine one to have. Is she complaining? Hell no, as she would say. Whats to complain about, Im still alive right? I think that she is where I get my stubbornness from, but I think she honestly saved the majority of it to pass down to my sister because man is she super stubborn. But anyways. My nana might have cancer again, and she still does not let it get her down. When my uncle died, I never saw that woman shed a tear. Not for lack of emotion but because she is just...strong. She is one of those people that you just know you should not mess with nor do you want to piss her off. Amazing cook though. A great mom to my mom and an amazing Nana to all her grandkids. There for you no matter what. When God decides that it is her time, I can say that I will be broken from the inside and out. I cant imagine my life without her in it, nor do I want to. 

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I just wish I knew Tata Serafin and Tata Pascual better.

    and lies about me being stubborn. haha but if it makes me more like Nana Dill then I'm fine with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The memories of Tata Pascual are few and far between because I was so young when he passed. I have more memories of Tata Serafin only because he died when I was in High School and it seems like we saw him a lot. I remember that he would carry you around because you were the baby.

    You are even stubborn about not being stubborn but its true to the heart.

    ReplyDelete